Wednesday, November 16, 2011

FHSA - Phoenix Arizona genealogy

I spoke at two FHSA chapter meetings this week.  I enjoyed them and had a great time.  However, I really  enjoyed the other presentations I've heard this week.  And this blog doesn't even talk about the great Saturday with Curt Witcher presenting.  (Another day)

On Monday night Suzanne Brayer talked about the passengers on the Mayflower and their families.  She included personality issues with information gained from first and second hand accounts of the events.  Since I don't think any of my ancestors are Mayflower descendants, I often find the talks on this subject to be just O.K.  Well, Suzanne's was great.  Can you believe that there were two dogs on the ship?  And that of the 17 women on the Mayflower, 13 died before the end of the first year? 

Then Wednesday afternoon I heard Charlie Schultz speak on church and vital records.  He gave us so much information about where to look and what to look for.  And I really appreciated a little bit of the history of the churches in the "New World" although it wasn't what I expected. 

Wednesday night I went to the East Valley Chapter of FHSA, where I spoke also.  But Wayne (I'm sorry I don't know his last name) talked about web browsers and all that goes with searching and using them.  A very interesting quotation he provided was by J.C.R. Lickliter who envisioned something like the internet in 1960.  Can you believe 50+ years ago?

I know how much time I spend preparing presentations and so I know about some of the time these people put into theirs.  I hope that each of you were able to attend or participate in at least one great event this week (or even this month.)  I feel fortunate that I had 3 this week and one last Saturday.  And it's only Wednesday night.

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne's presentation sounds fantastic and I don't even have Mayflower ancestors (that I know of)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment, Karen. I think those Mayflower folks are definitely an interesting bunch.

    ReplyDelete